Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Ridgewood News

I received a copy of The Ridgewood News this week from Rick Flannery (Thanks!) which contained a terrific article about efforts being made to reconnect Glen School alumni. Unfortunately, the paper is not online so you will have to buy a reprint. This can be accomplished by calling 973-569-7017, or via email to reprints@northjersey.com. It ran on Page A4 on Jan. 30, 2009 and was titled "Blogger hopes to Reconnect Glen School Alums." It was featured in The Ridgewood News in Vol. 89, No. 5.

I wish The Ridgewood News was online as that is how I receive the majority of my news these days. Don't get me wrong I still love the feel of a newspaper and nothing makes me happier than buying The New York Times first thing in the morning. It's just that I don't rely upon newspapers the way I once did, the way we all once did.

The real problem with Newspapers is obvious: they can't be printed and distributed fast enough to keep up with the Internet. I understand this but it doesn't lessen my desire for them to survive in some other form. An online version to me is the next step they must take to survive, and most major newspapers have already done this.

This leads me to wonder, what about the local papers like The Ridgewood News? Its been published continuously since 1889 and would be missed if it weren't around any more. Is there a way for it to continue, and be profitable, in this day and age? Are newspapers the sort of thing which should be run by non-profits and thus not be required to make money? Instead, they would be recognized for being a voice in the community which keeps politicians and special interest groups honest. You just have to see all the print being devoted to the ongoing Graydon Pool renovation plans to believe that without The Ridgewood News these sort of discussions would be a lot less open, and the public wouldn't have much input at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment