Thursday, February 05, 2009

I Need To Get Back

It's amazing. I am sitting here in Norfolk, Virginia with my wife, daughter, and four large dogs. And the pull persists: how can I get up to Ridgewood?

I need to get back. I want a buttered hard roll, with poppy seeds. I want to run our old "Lower Cross" 6 mile course through Ho Ho Kus. I want a burger and fries from The Fireplace. I want a slice of pie from Renato's or Mama Rosas's. Is Van Dykes Ice Cream still there? I want that, too.

I am reminded of an encounter my late wife Suzy and I had at a local architect's meeting in Williamsburg. We were at Kings Arms Tavern, talking to an architect originally from Syria, now living in Richmond. It turned out he had previously lived in Ridgewood, and when we connected on that, he grew very excited. Calling his wife over to meet us, he excitedly proclaimed "Ridgewood is the most wonderful place we have ever lived!"

Put the dogs in a kennel and start the Jeep. I need a Ridgewood fix. It's the most wonderful place I ever lived.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Kurt - yeah I was always torn between T&W's and Van Dyke's - Ridgewood has amzing pull!!! - Rick

    ReplyDelete