Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Molly Ahearn and Paul Ruck on Graduation Day 1977

I think my Mom had her finger over the camera lens in this one. Molly and Paul were two good pals of mine and it was great to be able to stand for this photo in front of my home on Glenwood Road.

As you all know, the Ridgewood Graduation is a night and day to remember. We start off in the late afternoon all dressed in white, and continue on well through the next day, when the stouthearted among us go to the New Jersey Shore. There are numerous parties throughout the night and innumerable promises to stay in touch forever.

Looking back I fondly recall this wonderful town tradition. It involves seemingly everyone, from parents and family members, to all sorts of people who watched us grow up like ministers and teachers. If you were to pick one reason for raising a family in Ridgewood it would have to be the send-off the town gives its graduates. This is a day that graduates realize they have accomplished something important in their lives. If they are lucky it gives them a momentum for the next stage of their lives, whether it be college, or a working life.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, now I'm gonna have to dig out my graduation pictures and my dad's home movie of same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's a memory. Love to get a copy of that photo. Where in the world is Ruck? Molly

    ReplyDelete