Wednesday, February 20, 2019

People Change When They Walk Away

     There is a funny thing I know about people. It's that they change when they walk away. 


     All of us have people in our pasts who we used to love or maybe just like alot. Most of these were with a passion only a child can know and understand. As we age our hearts are less prone to these feelings. It's called "growing up" by many, but I'm convinced it's carelessness on our parts. Keeping up relationships, which at one time we valued more than anything, is hard. The more I reflect upon this idea the truer it appears.

     Offer me the chance to go back to when I felt these things and I would immediately say no. The fact we cannot go back is part of what makes life bearable. Though we often think about the past it's not something we would revisit, of that I am certain.

     I can remember old seven digit telephone numbers of friends who once meant the world to me. This indeed sounds strange to me because nobody I know will answer these numbers with the familiar mirth and optimism I so clearly can recall. Even so I am deeply grateful and appreciative just the same for those days. If the voice on the other end could somehow sound familiar, I'd likely just listen because I released them long ago, and I changed as we moved away from each other.