Sunday, February 17, 2019

Collecting Autographs

     While I never possessed an autograph book I did collect autographed baseball cards. I actually would send the cards to the ballplayers in care of Yankee Stadium. This a time before people lined up and paid a fee to receive an autograph from a sports celebrity.

     I once sent a card to a retired Yankee, Bobby Richardson, and my missive was forwarded to his home in South Carolina. He kindly signed my card and returned it.

     Mel Stottlymyre and Rocky Colavito are two others I recall doing me the favor of signing the baseball card I sent them.




    
     You have to remember I only scrawled a return address on the envelope and included no return envelope for them to use. My expectation that they would take the time and trouble to honor my request amazes me to this day.

     Many people lament the fact they didn't save their baseball cards or that they were thrown away after they moved out of the house. I kept mine for years and it was only recently that I gave away the last of them to my nephew. Over the course of the prevous twenty years I gave away my collection of 50 or so cards to friends and family members. What's more, these cards are still bringing me joy long after I forgot who I gave each one of them to. Lucky for me a search on the Internet for a particular player and the card appears. The search also brings with it a memory of a simpler era where ballplayers made the time and maybe even believed they owed it to their fans to sign autographs. What's better than that?