Friday, February 08, 2019

Frank Robinson 1935-2019

     Back when we bought our baseball cards for five cents a pack for five cards and a piece of gum, this 1969 Topps Baseball card of Frank Robinson was in my collection. I had baseball cards up until two years ago when I gave the last of them to one of my nephews.


     Before 1991 I had kept my final fifty together with a rubberband, until I showed them to an avid collector abd he recoiled in horror. I got the message and put them each in their own plastic cover. These cards were all from a time before the inflation in the number of card producers made cards from 1974 on nearly worthless. All my cards were from the 1950s, 1960s, and early 1970s.

     For about thirty years I took great pleasure in bestowing cards as gifts. They still gave me great pleasure even though they are no longer in my possession. The memories are burned so deeply in the synapses of my brain that simply looking at pictures on the Internet allows me to recall those last cards, and in many cases the people to whom I gave them. That's quite the return on investment (ROI) for a nickel price tag with a piece of gum thrown in for free.