Friday, August 21, 2020

Before The Deluge

      Once they cancelled the Yankees and Mets baseball series this weekend I got the sense we hadn't seen the last of the Covid-19 in the New York metro area. I was truly amazed they had played baseball this long.

"Before The Deluge"

Some of them were dreamers
And some of them were fools
Who were making plans and thinking of the future
With the energy of the innocent
They were gathering the tools
They would need to make their journey back to nature

And in the end they traded their tired wings
For the resignation that living brings
And exchanged love's bright and fragile glow
For the glitter and the rouge
And in the moment they were swept before the deluge

      I have been streaming music daily to keep my spirits up. Too many complaints for me to list. Though my biggest is how little we have been able to come together and act as one to contain Covid and get the economy rolling. I fear too much damage has been done to the economy. Businesses don't just appear. People have to have some hope of success and the ability to see far enough into the future to make a prediction as to what consumers might buy. For even an optimist like me, there is not much hope that I can see or feel. 

     I know a lot of people who can work from home but that is not the majority. The majority of people risk their lives going to jobs they don't like to begin with, but need to keep their health insurance. I'm sure the irony is not lost on them though they might not call it irony to have to risk their health in order to preserve the option to get medical treatment.

     I do like the field of robotics. These often maligned smart machines will one day be celebrated for their ability to help us do our jobs better. One of the best applications of robotics has been with the painting of automobiles. The rework rate when cars were hand painted was 25%. That meant 1 out of 4 cars had to be pulled from the assembly line and be repainted. With robots this is almost unheard of and the robots are fearless and tireless in doing one of the most dangerous jobs in an auto plant. That's what I call a celebration.



No comments:

Post a Comment