Thursday, March 05, 2020

The Power Of Nostalgia


     I often get my ideas for blog posts from headlines. I will write them down or begin a post using the headline or a derivative thereof in my opening sentence. Sometimes I will take an entire quote:

Over time, professionals discovered that nostalgia was not necessarily a negative emotion as they had originally thought. Yes, memories of the past may cause sadness but also remembering personal meaningful and rewarding experiences with others were found to actually boost psychological well being along with having other positive benefits. -Susan Williams, Posted in Blog, Boomer Life, Positive Aging

     Then I look for a picture. Here is my grandfather with a bad mustache taken during World War I. He was a medical officer.




     Sometimes I then begin to ramble of topic and have to look back at the title to see how I started. Always nice to tie these posts together from beginning to end. Doesn't always happen.

     I guess this one will end with my complete agreement with the blogger I quoted about how rewarding it can be to write about others and earlier times in our lives. Yes, it is rewarding and psychologically boosting to hear when someone mentions that they read this blog.

    I'm sure my grandfather, Dr. J. Burlie McCubbin MD would agree. He used to write a column for the local newspaper with optimistic thoughts he had gathered while looking out the window from his practice on Main Street in Fulton, Missouri. Glad to report he lost the mustache sometime after the war, probably at the insistence of my grandmother who he married after returning from Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment