Thursday, March 26, 2020

Pandemic 2020

     I'm writing this post in Queens, NY. This is about 2 miles from one of the most apocalyptic scenes imaginable going on at Elmhurst Hospital. I'll spare you the details because they are all over the news. What's important is that my wife and I are fine for now.

     The pandemic is forcing us all to re-imagine what community looks like. People in my neighborhood are nicer than usual and have been keeping their distance on those rare occasions when the do venture out. They say emergencies like these show your true colors. If you were a jerk before you'll appear as an even bigger one, and likewise people who are caring tend to strive to be even more thoughtful. This is at least what I have seen.


     My parents generation was asked to overcome a Great Depression and the Nazi Axis Powers. We are being asked to stay indoors. Both were/are difficult in their own right. Today we cannot see the virus or know for certain how it is transmitted or how long it might linger in the air.  This is scary. For earlier generations they didn't know if the economy would ever restart or if we were capable of fighting wars on two fronts: Europe and The Pacific.

No comments:

Post a Comment