Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sony TR-63 Transistor Radio

     Like many kids growing up in the 1960s who loved baseball but who had a bedtime which prohibited staying up to watch a game that might be broadcast on TV, I often feel asleep with a transistor radio on my pillow, not knowing how the came ended until I read about it in the New York Times the next morning. My parents would come in and turn my radio off when they were ready for bed.

      I listened to baseball games whenever I could and even listened to games which were re-created for the radio audience. I knew the game had already been played but I was so hungry for baseball news that I didn't care.

      When baseball season was over there was 77 WABC with Cousin Bruce Morrow to keep me company before falling asleep. It's nice to know he still plays the airwaves via Satellite Radio and continues to call everyone cousin. He has a rapport with his listeners which most DJs of our day don't have the time or freedom to cultivate. It didn't matter that his play list of songs was short. We turned him on because of his familiar, friendly voice. His warmth and charisma came through loud and clear, even on a tiny little Sony transistor radio with the volume just barely on so our parents wouldn't hear it and decide to come in and turn it off for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment