Friday, March 19, 2010

The Magic of Ordinary Days

      I caught glimpse of these words on a Hallmark Channel commercial and immediately wrote them down knowing full well they would inspire me to write something. The magic of ordinary days I can now recall may not have felt very memorable to us when we were growing up and trying make use of the time we had outside each day with our friends. Discussions could be heated as to what we should play, and whether or not we had played that particular game or activity too much. It was especially difficult when inclement weather sequestered us inside and TVs were not so ubiquitous as they are today. We truly had to use our imaginations, and take into account where we were and who among us was capable of the activity. When we were outside we also had to beware of ponds of mud on playing fields and the activities of other groups of kids who might not look so kindly upon our intruding on their space. All in all these weren't so magical times to kids growing up and trying to mind the written and unwritten rules of the schoolyard or a friend's basement. Of course, looking back these are the most precious and magical times, especially when we filter them through our rose-colored glasses. I can return to any one of a number of ball fields in Ridgewood and clearly remember events which occurred, sometimes over 40 years ago. Most of these same fields have changed in some small way and are largely better cared for but I can still see through the mist of time the ball I hit or the throw a friend made, or a mad kick to the finish line. These are magical occurrences to me whenever I am on the spot, or feel these emotions recollected in tranquility as William Wordsworth would say. I am able to recall them vividly and with such appreciation, despite the fact that at another time we children might have felt them most ordinary, and nothing as extraordinary as my writing might lead some to infer.

No comments:

Post a Comment