Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Gateway

By writing this blog I am training my memory to return to early childhood memories of peace and joy. Recapturing these events in my earlier life, in words and pictures, is helping me to discover I have more access to my past and its beginnings than I previously believed. I am in essence disciplining myself to become a retriever. Here I am, with my Dad's finger on the camera lens, getting ready to run in my first Varsity Track Meet in College. I wore spikes for the first time that day and easily won the 1/2 mile event. Unfortunately, my lack of familiarity with spikes caused me to come crashing down in a heap on my shoulder as I crossed the finish line. I learned you don't stop yourself the same way wearing spikes as you do with my more familiar flats. I went down like somebody had shot me and was lucky that I was winning by a heady margin or someone might have trampled me as I lay there helpless on the tartan track. Try this visualization which I replicate here from the Book of Runes: "Visualize yourself standing before a gateway on a hilltop. Your entire life lies out behind you and below. Before you step through the gateway, pause and review the past: the learning and the joys, the victories and the sorrows---everything it took to bring you here."

No comments:

Post a Comment