Friday, January 30, 2009

The Ridgewood News

     According to Rick Flannery of the Glen School Class of 1967 blog, The Ridgewood News will be publishing an article about Glen School today. I'll post about when I see it. They contacted me regarding the idea I floated for a database of former teachers and wondered how it was coming along. I had to confess that the project was too daunting to consider without the full cooperation of the Ridgewood Public Schools. They have all the information and it comes down to whether or not they want to take the time to share it. I'm sure there are privacy issues involved so I don't want to criticize them too much. I just wish they had a greater sense of history and wanted to credit the former teachers for all their hard work. I also think it would be an excellent way to create interest in the Ridgewood School system. It might even lead to increased contributions from alumni for scholarships, supplies, and equipment. This is how private schools do it and I see no reason why a Public School System couldn't market itself in the same manner. In addition, The Ridgewood News has been very supportive of Rick's quest to find out what happened to the teachers he had while growing up. He told me yesterday that he located his 1st and 2nd grade teachers, as well as his Gym Teacher. Keep up the good work! 

     This longing, I'm slowly finding out, to ascertain the whereabouts of former teachers is a fairly common one. I received a piece of email from Jim Schoneman, class of 1974, who had been trying to find references to Gene Ricci on the Internet. His search turned up an old post of mine regarding this Willard School teacher from the 1960s and 1970s, and he was moved to write me. He also reminded me of the "Love Taps" on the top of the head he used to give students with the ring he wore. I don't think any teacher would try that today for fear of a law suit. Though in the 1960s and 1970s Gene Ricci used it to great effect to endear himself to students and parents alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment