Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Longest Days of the Year

Since I work for a living it requires more effort than when I was younger to see the longest days of the year are also the best days of the year. As a child this necessitated very little effort. As you well know, it is in June that school ends for most, and the prospect of a summer full of free time presents itself. This always made me regard this period as one filled with possibilities.

To reflect upon what we did back then in the age before cable TV, The Internet, DVDs, I-Pods, and all the other gadgets we tell ourselves we cannot live without, is to ponder a world which cannot be re-created, except through extraordinary efforts. Who would willingly give up the technology of modern life? I certainly would not, least of all because I am a technology consultant.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't give it up because I can see the possibilities of modern technology and it makes me feel like a child in June. Yes, I am still a believer, despite all evidence to the contrary that our interrupt-driven society is turning us into a bunch of coach potatoes. I remain hopeful that once the novelty of always being connected wears off and we learn to look at our email less, and drive without having to make cell phone calls, that we will use the "modern connectedness" to renew the ties which once bound us together as a group. That is part of the purpose of this blog, not just to serve as a diary for memories, though that is a fine use for a blog. I believe the use of blogs like this one will help revive our long lost connections to one another; the associations which are so easy to let slide and fade away.

I trust you all will give this some thought and see if it applies to your situation. We will be here to help where we can. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment