Friday, May 22, 2020

Uncle Harry Ahearn

     He was the only teacher I could ever recall being given the nickname "Uncle Harry." It was if he were the kindly old uncle we loved to visit with.


He believed every student could and should get A's. He posted the Rangers(not Texas) score in the morning after every game. If they won, it was large. If they lost, it was tiny. He was also a member of the Finnigan's Wake Society and read about a third of a book every night!
Karen Rose:
He was my favorite, what a sweetheart! Bob Sullivan and I sat next to each other and talked endlessly about the Boston Bruins before class began. He was always supportive and patient, but when we got the "disapproving parent look" we knew it was time to shut up fast. He loved to "argue" about hockey with us after class though.


Laura Fleming:

My sister had him for US History Through Literature. Apparently, he used to have little ants making the comments on essays. One of his US II students came to me upset one day because Mr. Ahearn was telling them that he was a communist in class! He didn't realize it was just a "devil's advocate" technique. I felt very fortunate to become his colleague and learn a little bit from him to take with me. I think I get the prize now for spending the most time on the Constitution, something for which he was notorious! There is a scholarship in his name that one of the Mrs. Rosengrens (sorry I forget which one!) announces every year at the Senior Awards ceremony.

No comments:

Post a Comment