Wednesday, December 18, 2019

First Year Spanish Class

      La clase de Espanol

     There are many people willing to bet that you could walk into a meeting with people over the age of 40, say "Esta Susana en casa" and at least ONE person will give you the next line. My in-laws were from Cuban and always had a good laugh whenever I would entertain them with this dialogue. So stilted yet so memorable.

     The junior high school issued us all a box of 45s, vinyl records with all the dialogues we were required to learn. In high school there was a language lab we were supposed to visit and listen to more dialogues. Not sure either was effective as being around Latins and simply practicing. Later in life when I was a restaurateur I used my Spanish to great advantage. My old maestros would have been proud.

     Now I am reviewing my past work in Spanish and German languages using the online website Duolingo. It truly takes me back to when I first began language study in the 7th grade. We all knew going in we had to take a language or else we couldn't go to college. So I chose the obvious one because even then it was clear Spanish would be of some use. Who knew I would marry a Cuban and become fully indoctrinated into their warm and inclusive culture.

7 comments:

  1. Donde ESTA en la Sala
    No, en la cosina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esta Susanna con amiga?
    No, en El telefono.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I and everyone of that generation had the same book. Perhaps the funniest part of the movie "The 40 Year Old Virgin" is when Jane Lynch busts out the Diaglogue from Chapter 3: "Adonde vas con tanta prisa/ Al partido de futbol." Almost 40 years later and sometimes I still get the following line stuck in my head "Si. Y tu tambien. Para tu mama. El Lunes es El Dia De La Madre*" with the asterisk denoting that in many countries Mother's Day is on a Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember ya se ! no tienes dinaro quanto questan Los boletos ? ,, something to that effect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si! Followed by "No recuerdo. Creo que cinco pesos."

      Delete
  5. I remember !¡POR FAVOR, mi maleta! I still say it to this day 50 years later

    ReplyDelete