Saturday, November 19, 2016

Why a 40th Reunion?


Humans are storytelling, story-loving creatures. Please let me share a story about why I help plan our 40th Reunion.

You see if you grow old enough you might realize the meaning of Life is solely about people, the hang, being a member of the group.

It’s impossible after high school to stay close to everyone. I regret losing touch with many high school friends, some of whom I am only offered an opportunity to see at our high school reunions.

This reminds me of the question we used to pose to our Math teachers about why we needed to study Math at all.

As time passes the number of people who have known you for a long time or have known you at Key Moments of your life grows fewer. Reunions teach us the Math inherent in living. This makes a 40th Reunion valuable in ways you perhaps haven’t realized. Of course, there will be lots of laughs, but I encourage you to value what it is we share and the possibilities this occasion holds for our futures.


I tell myself after each reunion that this time will be different, and I’ll make the effort to stay connected to those old friends. Though I realize now from experience that these connections are hard to renew and maintain. It just doesn’t happen very often, even knowing that the older I grow, the more I need the people I knew when I was young.

So consider a nostalgic visit back to a time and place that formed an important part of your life. You can attend for a few hours, if only to celebrate your current life without all drama from high school. It’s okay to rent a luxury sports car for the day.

I’ll leave you with the words of Mark Twain, someone we all read in school but might not have read lately:

“"Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile." 

I want to thank you all for reading my story about our 40th Reunion. Even if you can’t make it please give it a moment out of your busy life to recall those days.

Thank you and hope to see you there in July 2017, even if it’s just a fleeting glance or a knowing nod. The sight of you might well be as cheering as an actual conversation. Your presence will give me something to ponder, as the poet once wrote, “when I am old and grey and full of sleep, and nodding by the fire.”
 Yeats, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment