Sunday, October 25, 2015

When The Mets Win The World Series

When the NY Mets win this year's World Series we will all be happy for Woody. The following was written by a friend of mine who grew up in Jersey in the 1960's and 1970s. He and I went to college toegether.

The Mets Will Win the World Series and I Will Be Happy (For Woody)

"Perhaps it’s a bit absurd, but several friends offered condolences to me the past few days for the Mets going to the World Series because I’m a quite public life long Yankees fan and Mets hater. It’s in my genealogy. My father hated the Brooklyn Dodgers and adored the Yankees. The Dodgers moved to the sunshine of the west and the Mets appeared in Queens, providing a new target for my father’s sports induced wrath. My brothers and I soon followed his passions and displeasures. When I was 11 years old, the Yankees were in last place and the (Miracle) Mets won the World Series. We sat around the dinner table like someone had died, and then my father simply stated “I’m happy for Woody”. Woody is Bill Woodworth, a lifelong friend of ours and lifelong Mets fan. Every Mets victory after that (well, just 1986), I consoled myself with the mantra, I’m happy for Woody. Woody eventually married SueEllen and along came two more Mets fans, in their children Katie and Meg. They are extraordinary people and devoted Mets fans. But, most importantly, in terms of my emotional well-being, they give me an out. I won’t revert back to my 11 year old self, when I threw my first punch at the newbie Mets lover, Peter Coyne. I will enjoy the Series and hope the Mets win. I can’t say I’ll be rooting for them, because that would be disingenuous. But, when they win it, which they will, I will be so happy for Woody, and Sue, and Katie, and Meg, and Father Ken, and….."

No comments:

Post a Comment