Sunday, May 10, 2015

''Heeeeeeres Johhny''


From 1955 through 1985 he was always introduced the same way,  ''Heeeeeeres Johhny''!
When he finally left the stage for the last time there were no dry eyes in the studio, including Johnny's.

It was the end of an era where people stayed up late to at least hear his opening monologue, so they could talk about it at work the next day. It seems strange to consider this sort of appointment TV, or "linear television" as they say in the trade. We have exchanged this common meeting for a world of unlimited choices and TV on our own terms. It's hard to describe and explain to younger generations who can record and watch the late night shows the next day, or later that night and avoid all commercials.

When I consider that Johnny Carson was on TV for 30 consecutive years it always makes me stop and think how rare a phenomenon this is in any profession or occupation. I like to comment whenever someone tells me they have done something for 30 years that they have accomplished a "Johnny Carson." If they had ever tuned in for his show they would know of what I speak and usually give me a shy smile. They know how hard it is to work at something and not throw in the towel when the opportunity suggests itself. This is not to say I would want to try this feat, only that I recognize the perseverance that it takes. I saw what it took for my father to work 30 years at the same law firm, the sacrifices, the long commutes, and finally walking away from it all enjoy the fruits of his labors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment