Sunday, January 06, 2013

Bicycle Inspection Day

It was usually a Saturday morning in the early autumn when we would line up our bicycles at Willard School and have them inspected under the watchful eye of the Police and a few local Dads. As my father was a lawyer, the Principal, Dan Daley, would often ask for his assistance. My Dad would give each bicycle a sturdy twist of the handle bars, then check the chain and the condition of the tires. If the passed these cursory tests then the bike was given a license.

One year when I was in the 6th grade and was the current Safety Patrol Captain for our class, I was asked to join the inspection team. I mostly kept the kids in line and looked to see that they knew where the serial number was on their bicycle so they could complete the license application form.

In latter years I can remember riding down to the Police Station on a prescribed day and having an officer complete the same type inspection. I can't remember ever having anyone question me as to whether I had a license but I do know that it made me feel official and law-abiding when I knew that my bike was officially licensed.

No comments:

Post a Comment