Sunday, August 28, 2011

Rainy Sundays in August

There were days like we are having today with Hurricane Irene when we were growing up. They felt much more isolating than today, no doubt thanks to the invention of the Internet, Social Networking, and precise hurricane tracking maps. People criticize the Internet for allowing people to socialize without seeing one another face-to-face. I can tell you for a fact that as a kid I would have liked to have seen anyone during one of those storms, which left the streets and sometimes our basement flooded.

Today I have friends all over the map to touch base with, as long as the power stays on, and my assorted Internet connections stay up. I am a techie so I have redundant paths to the Internet and numerous backup batteries. As a kid we would have had the radio and TV, until the power went out, then we were alone and on our own. It didn't matter how many Three Musketeers bars my mother might offer us, we still felt alone and had no place to go.

When the storm had ceased we would go out and inspect the damage and the flooding. I can remember streets in my neighborhood where the water would be standing up to my knees. We would walk through it anyway, especially if there was no power and we had nothing better to do.

During these storm events I can remember the Hohokus brook would inevitably flood over its banks and people nearby would have to contend with a stream that was now on steroids. I have seen the improvements which have been made to the flood control system in and around the Hohokus brook and will be curious to hear how these modifications handled today's deluge.

Oh well, the only thing now is to wait and see, just like we did when we were younger. I think the fact that I recall Sunday storms in August infers they must have been memorable and somewhat traumatic. I'm sure this one will have its own set of difficult circumstances. What's more, now I am the adult and the one who must be brave. Wonder where the Three Musketeers bars are anyway?

Stay dry and indoors. The flooded streets will be there to wander through after the all clear has been sounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment