Saturday, October 02, 2010

Tyler Clementi

It was not a quiet week in my old home town, Ridgewood. Tyler Clementi, RHS 2010, reportedly jumped to his death from the George Washington Bridge following the release of a sex tape on the Internet. According to reports,  Police recovered a man's body Wednesday afternoon just north of the bridge, and authorities were trying to determine whether it was Clementi's. Check the story out here: Tyler Clementi

It would be foolish to say there were no gay people living in Ridgewood during the 1960s and 1970s. There most certainly were and are now, but then they were not as well organized or disposed to let their neighbors know.

Being gay is not right or wrong. It is not a life choice; it's just what some of my friends are and I have no problems with it.

I do have problems with people who would deny them equal status in the eyes of the law. I have problems with any state which has one set of rules for men and women who are married, and another set of rules for men who want to marry men or women who want to marry women. There is no difference in my eyes as long as they are law abiding, hard-working, and paying taxes.

When I was growing up this sort of argument was not acceptable among people living in Ridgewood. What's more, it was not offered by anyone unless they wanted a lot of needless trouble on their hands. Thankfully, times have changed and we can all openly mourn the passing of a young man who didn't know how to handle his feelings, and might only have needed an intervention in order for him to still be among us today.

It is all very sad and I hope we all learn something from this incident which just leaves me numb when I think about it.

Peace.








No comments:

Post a Comment