Sunday, September 19, 2010

Make Way For Tomorrow

I believe it is good form for those making High School graduation speeches to include some sort of heartfelt advice. I can't say I remember any of the advice from my High School or College graduation speakers, but if I was given the chance to speak, I would talk on the subject of "Making Way For Tomorrow."

It is likely an easier subject to contemplate for graduates than the usual subject they are prompted to consider by their esteemed graduation speakers. As I vaguely recall they speak of the many years that lie ahead and that they have the choice to strive to fill them with promise for a better world. The graduates are reminded also that we are sure this promise is an essential part of the DNA, and has been nurtured by all the time they have spent in institutions of higher learning. This all sounds good and of course, it should be uttered at moments like these when friends and family are all wishing them well.

My only additional word of advice would be to include a reminder that they can do one thing before they begin the next step in life's journey, and that is to make way for the generation which is following right behind them. Make a gesture, however slight, which shows you fully accept the fact that your day in the sun on these high school grounds has come and gone. By acknowledging that you are no longer part of the social scene I believe will speed up the next generation's recognition that it is time for them to shine. I would encourage every graduating class to do the same thing. What's more, if they have the time, and can pass along some wisdom they have acquired about the next phase of life, then all the better. The point here is to communicate and to not dominate. I believe with the tools we now have this could be built into every curriculum. Why disenfranchise those alumni who have insights worthy of passing on to the next generation?

I ultimately advocate open communication between graduating classes and those who follow in their footsteps. I also realize the recent graduates don't have much time, but any small gesture during those care free moments in September of Freshman year at college could go a long way towards making sure that they current Seniors are making the appropriate decisions based upon the wisdom of their "forefather." Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe that is what made this country great.

No comments:

Post a Comment