Monday, December 07, 2009

New Traditions

I visited Ridgewood yesterday with the sole intention of purchasing a Christmas tree for our apartment in Queens. Yes, I could have bought something locally but the desire to see the trees on sale at the YMCA pulled me back to Jersey.

We used to buy our trees either at the Y or at the Paramus Reformed Church. I didn't see anything on the Internet regarding a tree sale at the church so I went to the Y straight off. When I arrived it dawned on me how much expansion and change had taken place at the Y since I had last been inside over 30 years ago. While I am sure the change was for the best it was not what I was looking for or the kind of trip down memory lane of which I am fond. I was looking to recall those family trips to pick out our tree, and then hauling it back home in our station wagon. It was a right of the season and something which we all enjoyed. The new layout at the Y was lacking something I can't put my finger on, and it sent me instead to the Farm stand at the corner Ridgewood Avenue and Paramus Road. It hasn't changed much since it opened for business in 1948, and is still offering the Frasier Fir Christmas trees and wreaths I was looking to purchase.

The smell of a fresh Frasier Fir tree is something that the tree manufacturers will never be able to duplicate. It fills a room with an air that is both refreshing and comforting at the same time.

Now that I have a Ridgewood tree and wreath decorating our apartment, we will slowly start collecting ornaments and decorations. This time honored tradition dovetails nicely with our new tradition to mark the holiday season.

1 comment: