Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Day 2009


Here in the northeastern United States the weather is a very nice 60 degrees, with the sun shining through the clouds. By this time of year we are usually very thankful for weather like this because we won't see much of anything similar until spring.

In years past Ridgewood High School would play Fairlawn in football on Thanksgiving morning. This year Paramus is visiting Ridgewood so I wonder who they could burn in effigy? We used to burn Freddie Fairlawn and, as the picture of the water tower suggests, go and deface something in Fairlawn. I'm sure these acts suggest some sort of school spirit but then as now it is looked down upon by those in charge of our youth's moral upbringing.

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays and one which I can clearly remember over the last 40 years or so. It probably has something to do with the food and family dynamic but fortunately for the holiday it doesn't require one to be able to cook or have ones own family present. In fact, some of my favorite memories are of times when I neither cooked or was with my own family. These moments to me demonstrate the beauty inherent in this time of year. People tend to allow for one more at their table, more than at any other time of the year. This custom speaks, as Abe Lincoln once said it, "to the better angels of our natures." To me it is just a gentle reminder of the vast potential we all have inside of us. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment