Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Baseball Gloves

I got this quote off the New York Daily News blog:

I remember the days of summer when we never left the house without bringing our baseball gloves. The gloves fit very nicely over the handle bars of our bikes. We never knew where or when a game of baseball, softball or stickball might break out, so we always had to be prepared...even if it was two guys just having a catch. I look around today and sadly I don't see that anymore.



Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/2009/08/26/2009-08-26_summer_essay_series_what_a_day.html#ixzz0PK6ewkTJ

A few years ago I decided that if I ever played another game of softball or stickball it would be with a new glove. It was then that I got rid of the only two baseball gloves I had ever owned. Now these gloves were over 40 years old and had long ago out-lived their usefulness, but I had kept them anyhow. It was both sad and liberating to throw the gloves away. I was sad because they were old and filled with many great moments. I was happy because it meant I might have one more chance to break in a new glove.

It's been 20 years exactly since I last played a game of baseball. The very happy circumstances around this last game, not unlike Ted Williams last at-bat, have held me back from participating again. Why try to top yourself? This is an old show biz adage and I am an old ham.

In any event, it was 20 years ago that I was playing my first game as a "ringer" on a US Congressional league softball team. The Congressional League rules require that a woman bats at least every third at bat. This meant I was going to be sitting for most of the game as I was a newbie, and the girls had to play.

By the time I walked to the plate we were losing 15-0. I knew I would have one chance and would have to be patient. Just my luck the opposing team brought in a new pitcher, who was hoping to make good. His first pitch was right across the plate and I took it for a strike. This took the pitcher by surprise and I suspect he wanted me to make contact. The next pitch I didn't take and sent over the center fielder's head for a home run. When I crossed home plate I suspected this would be last at-bat.

If this is to be my last game I privately will allow myself to say I retired in the same manner as Boston Red Sox great, Ted Williams. On his last at-bat in 1960 he hit a home run, and seemingly skipped all around the bases.



Notice all the empty seats in Fenway Park in Boston. I didn't skip but I felt I was done, and haven't entertained the idea of doing it again, for love or money.

No comments:

Post a Comment