Sunday, April 12, 2009

Yankees 2009

I was just checking out the Yankees web site to see the price of Season Tickets. For about $26,000 you could get a Field Level ticket to all 81 home games. They will throw in a free Yankee Yearbook, too. This is $325 per ticket. Family of four would cost a cool $104,000. I believe you get free parking but it may only be in the preferred garage and you would still pay.

Want something to eat during the game? I haven't seen the prices but I understand the options are diverse. The Hard Rock Cafe menu states how many calories each item has but not the price. There is also a NYY Steakhouse which I understand they want to franchise. The 16oz Filet goes for $49. Want some Bearnaise Sauce on that Steak? An extra $6. Shrimp Cocktail is $16. Like a cognac to finish the meal? Remy Martin Louis xiii will set you back $225 a glass.

Does anybody else think this all is insane?

My first experience at Yankee Stadium in the 1960s was in the above mentioned Field Level seats, which were wiped down by Union users before we sat in them. You won't see any Union ushers at the new Stadium. Those guys were pensioned off years ago, instead we have Stadium Security who will point you to your seats. Though heaven help you if the seat is wet or has junk on it because they don't care.

Fortunately, I am able to watch all the games on TV but you have to wonder what would possess anyone to purchase such a package or go to the stadium to eat. I can hardly wait for the news media to begin interviewing these people who will be seating behind home plate for a mere $2625 per seat.

The last time I went to Yankee Stadium in 2004 I sat in the bleachers for $12 and had a couple of $2 Buds before the game in the bowling alley across the street. I noticed that Bleacher Seats are now $14 and that the decade old ban on beer in the Bleachers has been lifted. Hope some corporate tickets come my way from somewhere because I'm not paying for any of this wretched excess.

Play Ball!

1 comment:

  1. Last year I went to the final Sunday afternoon game at the old House with my bro-in-law. It was one of those perfect memories that last forever. He bought great tickets right behind 1st base and I bought beer- I think he got the better deal :) But I don't have any desire now to see the new stadium. I'm a half hour away from the Phab Phillies, and don't have to take out a home equity loan to see them.

    ReplyDelete