Monday, April 27, 2009

Wretched Excess

I was driving through Ridgewood today, with the a plan of stopping at the Library to take a peak at the NY Times and use the facilities. As I was getting out of my car I couldn't help but notice that the town was chopping down the pine trees behind the Kassau Band Shell.

As a bit of background, anyone who has run track at Ridgewood in the last 50 years has come in contact with these trees, their lower branches, and their pine needles. They appeared healthy to my semi-professional landscaper's eye so I watched and waited for a moment to ask the tree trimmers why these majestic old trees were being cut down.

The guy I finally asked, much to his credit, was very polite. I believe he had been asked this same question countless times today. He told me the town was taking down the trees to expand the Band Shell in order to put in bathrooms. I thanked him and went on my business.

I can't say I am a tree hugger but I am a thrifty Scot. The fact that during a Depression the town would choose to spend money on chopping down trees in order to install bathrooms strikes me as a bit much. If this is the only way they can think to prime the pump and put people to work, then they need to think again.

Oh yeah, last word I heard the price tag for the bathrooms was $250,000. And no mention of what it will cost to maintain the bathrooms. It made me stop and think about what we did when I lived in Ridgewood. That was a no-brainer: we used the bathrooms at the Library. ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Paul,

    Didn't you used to "guide" Kurt and I into those trees as you passed by us as we did our ladder workouts around vets??

    Keep up the great Ridgewood observations...

    Rob L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob,

    Yes I did! It was the an "old Pro" way to mentor a sophomore who clearly had more talent.

    Please remember that he still can run Lower Cross. I don't even believe that you, with your superior knowledge of the course, could beat him now.

    Thanks for the comment.

    As an FYI, my Mom has relocated to Sarasota and would love a call from someone from Ridgewood like yourself.

    Lest we forget, it was your Dad who insisted that an award be presented to my Dad for long service to the Ridgewood Baseball Association (RBA). The plaque sits on my desk to this day.

    I'll call when I visit Sarasota. My Mom lives at the golf course you like to frequent.

    Thanks.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey now!

    $250K is not an outrageous sum for public toilets, particularly after factoring in ADA requirements, the "green factor" and union labor. Just the cost of doing business in a progressive town.

    Regarding Lower Cross, I recently discovered www.mapmyrun.com

    It turns out Lower Cross, and all Larry's courses, were a little short of the advertised mileage. I guess he was clocking him on those old little eurocars he liked to drive!

    Kurt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using the library bathrooms makes too much sense. People might have to walk an extra 30 feet. Its like NASA inventing the space pen that works in weightlessness - cost a bundle - the Soviets, not having a bundle to spend, used pencils . . .

    ReplyDelete