Saturday, December 20, 2008

John McCubbin

      My Dad will always be in my mind all about Baseball, Boy Scouts, BBQs, and the PTA. He coached my brothers and I in baseball, and when we were through he headed up the Ridgewood Baseball Association (RBA) for a year. One of his favorite mementos was the paper weight they gave him for his long years of service. He was an Eagle Scout himself and encouraged us all to do the same, though only my older brother, Peter, made it to the same lofty plane as he did. He loved to BBQ and the site of him flipping burgers on a summer evening was an annual ritual. His friendship with Dan Daly, the principal of Willard School, set the tone early on regarding the importance he placed on education. His participation at the PTA meetings after he had been at work all day in NYC further showed us that working hard at school was something he expected. We will be spreading his ashes next week at Arlington Cemetery. No service will be held as per his request.

2 comments:

  1. sorry to hear this paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul - please accept my sympathy for your loss. Unlike a lot of the platitudes you are likely to hear, I can honestly say I understand your loss.

    Your Dad will always be alive in your memories and his legacy lives on in the life of his children.

    ReplyDelete