Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Charlie Brown Christmas

 

 

      It wouldn't be Christmas for me if I didn't comment on Charlie Brown. I always watch in real time on TV, though I could certainly buy or rent or steal it off the Internet. By watching it on network TV the old fashion way without Tivo, it seems to give me a sense of reassurance in what is certainly an anxious time for us all financially. I don't know if this is a better ritual than a more modern one but it does allow me to reflect upon something that has not changed, and that is the wonderful lessons which Charles Schultz taught us with his Peanuts gang. One of the most prescient lines is uttered by Lucy when she says that all she really wants is Real Estate for Christmas. I suppose that for the last 40 years this was a good thing, but I wonder if this is what Lucy would be asking for today. My favorite lines are uttered by Linus, one of the more underrated characters in my opinion, who is wise beyond belief for always carrying his security blanket with him. Who among us wouldn't want to carry one of those into a job interview or have it with them when they had to make a speech or presentation? His matter of fact declaration that he could tell Charlie Brown what the real meaning of Christmas is, always helps me keep things in prospective during this mega shopping season. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment