Saturday, November 01, 2008

Schweinfurth Florist

      When I was planning my wedding in 2001, I went and visited The Upper Ridgewood Community Church where I had been confirmed, as a possible venue. They told me that former members of the church, as a rite of passage, invariably came back to get married. I was quite pleased at this coincidence and proceeded to book my forthcoming marriage and reception at my old church. Much to my delight when I asked who they recommended to do the flowers, they suggested an old classmate of ours who owned Schweinfurth Florist, Chet Douglas. When my wife and I went to visit him to plan the floral arraignments he couldn't have been more charming and professional. He even went as far as to suggest that the flowers for my Saturday wedding could be used at the next day's services, and that he would credit the church for these flowers. Chet is a very cool guy and an astute businessman. I hope this serves as a long overdue thank-you.

3 comments:

  1. Wasn't that Schweinfurth that used to have the florist and greenhouses on Van Dien, at the end of Beverly Rd?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are now in Midland Park. I guess the land was too valuable, judging by the huge houses which were built in Schweinfurth's place.

    Kurt, you should probably comment sometime on the trend in Ridgewood for tearing down the old houses and building larger ones on the same size plot of land. I go through town sometimes and am amazed that people would find these McMansions at all appealing to live in.

    Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Schweinfurth - wow we used to get all our flowers there! Somehow it seems strange that Midland Park has one of our "institutions" now! Rick

    ReplyDelete