Sunday, October 19, 2008

Bob Lefsetz on 1960s Music

     If I happen to quote a fellow blogger you all will have to understand that this is the nature of the medium. I regularly read Bob Lefsetz because his observations on the music scene strike a cord with Baby Boomers. I will take the liberty of quoting him here: "Will we ever revisit an era where acts as diverse as Louis Armstrong, the Four Tops and the Beatles can coexist on the airwaves, the music of all emanating from the same station, so dominant that everyone knows the licks? I don't think so. That's a bygone era. We don't even have a new "Bonanza", and there are many more records than TV shows." Subscribe to his email list and you will regularly receive his analysis of the current music scene and how it contrasts with the era which this blog seeks to explain and better understand. If all this makes me sound like an old fogie who likes to say it was better in the good old days, then I am fine with it. In the case of popular music, to me, there is no question as to how far our tastes have degenerated. Where is the harmony in Rap? I try to be open minded about Rap and all the tripe which passes for popular music, but it seems a little contrived to me and lacking in the reflection which I hold to be important to all art. I realize this makes me sound like the people during the 60s and 70s who couldn't understand the long hair and bell bottom jeans of people who listened to the music I seek to immortalize here. I am fine with this and am proud to be as old as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment