Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Storytelling

     It's been said that storytelling is the best protection against forgetting. In our digital age where Google forgets nothing the stories and notices posted to this blog will likely last as long as we do as a civilization. This daunting idea actually inspires me to make the postings as meaningful as I can given the limitations of time and my talents. I may not hit the mark every time but my modest efforts do give me some satisfaction and occasionally hit their mark in ways I can't predict but appreciate just the same. 

      The most recent example was the sharing of my memories of shopping at Perdue's Sport Shop and posting it the same morning on which Walt Perdue passed away quietly in Anna Maria, Florida. It was only the next day when his daughter emailed me that I learned the connection between the events. I was glad they had been able to find and read my story during their time of sorrow, if only to take their minds off their grieving for a moment and to let their thoughts linger around a more cheerful set of circumstances. Maybe all the future postings here won't resonate so loudly in people's hearts and minds, but that will be the aim. I trust that people will let me know when something written here touches their heart or peaks their interest. The stories I collect here are important enough to reside on the Internet for eternity.  I just hope they can accurately depict the people and places which prompted me to write them down in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment