Thursday, April 08, 2021

The Buddy Bench

      Who can't recall a time when they were odd person out? Nobody.

     My favorite moment was a time when I was 7 or 8. Mr. Jay Van Kempen, a sixth grade teacher  at Willard School, was involved in an after school touch football game with mostly sixth graders on each team.

     By the time I got to the field the game was well underway. I was carrying my baseball glove and a tennis ball. I watched the game passively for a while then I started throwing the ball into the air and then catching it. My tosses went higher and higher with no drops.

     I think Mr. Van, as he was known, must have been watching me out of the corner of his eye. I say this because he eventually stopped the game and invited me to be on his team. There wasn't much I could do except hike the ball but that didn't seem to bother anyone. The game went on like before with one extra player on Mr. Van's side. I couldn't have been more pleased or surprised when I was asked to join the game. We didn't have a Buddy Bench but we did have somebody who understood what these games we play are truly all about.

     Mr Van I am happy to say still lives in the area and remains married to the lady he met on The Dating Game over 50 years ago.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment