Monday, December 07, 2020

Checking In

      Last weekend after looking through my Gmail contacts I decided to send an email to every person I hadn't contacted in a while. My family was excluded and anybody I had been on a Zoom call with during the Pandemic. In total I sent 28 versions of the same email. Though I personalized each but mostly wrote about how we were getting along and that if the person had a moment to let me know their status. I kept the note as brief as possible but not so short as to make it appear as a thoughtless exercise.

     The responses to date have been fascinating. The people I have known the longest were among the first to reply. It didn't matter if we hadn't spoken in years the connection was still there and they all appreciated the interruption to what has become a very boring time in our lives.

     I'll likely wait to respond to everyone and see if I can't draw some conclusion to share. Or I'll just respond to them individually and let the email trains go wherever. I realize that letter writing is a lost art but maybe we can improve upon email.



No comments:

Post a Comment