Sunday, June 07, 2020

Mr. October

     We are finding out what it is like to live in a world without regular sporting events. I don't include the Professional Wrestling matches being staged in Florida because that is simple entertainment. And I don't include the caged Ultimate Fighting spectacles which are simply too barbaric for words.

     I am speaking about my favorite game which is baseball. It can be wiffle, soft, stick, or hard ball as the game is the same despite some tinkering with the rules. We always started a game with explanations of the rules: what was foul territory, how many outs per side, and how many strikes per batter. It ultimately came down to pitching to a batter who was always trying to hit a home run. People who complain that a rule change somehow desecrates baseball never played on some of the awful fields that we played on as kids. We had to make rules concerning puddles of mud that we collect in outfield. Did that change the name of the game? Not a bit.

     I was delighted to read a story about Reggie Jackson today. I still check the sports pages everyday even though there isn't usually much news. Today "Mr October" himself offered his perspective on our current times. He grew up Oakland, California and knows all about riots in his neighborhood. He lent his opinion which gave me some hope, kinda like he used to during his playing days:


     This is his unabridged post:

“Our Protest feels different this time.

“I could see it in the rainbow of skin colors in the crowd a couple days ago in my town at the Monterey Protest Walk.

“It pumped me up inside. Made me feel others could feel what my heart needs.

“I WAS A TEENAGER IN THE 60s. I’VE lIVED IT !

“Finally more are understanding what I’ve felt for the past 60 years. And they’re with me. Made me smile, gave me hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment