Saturday, January 11, 2020

History


     The Irish New Yorker and novelist Peter Quinn recently remarked that, "the past often goes ignored or denied; though it never goes away."

      He remarked the same evening that, "history is a form of therapy which helps uncover ourselves, however fractured."

     I don't do his quotes justice as they were delivered to an adoring room full of Irish and Irish Americans. Most people he said when comes to history only suffer history, rather than being the ones to record it or to make it.

     This blog is an attempt to record the history of those who lived fairly ordinary lives but who's seemingly insignificant activities, many years prior, caused me to stop and remember them. It took Quinn's observations to decipher what I have been doing these past twelve years. Yes, it's been therapeutic for me, and to a lesser extent for a reader or two who have come across these somewhat fractured remembrances.

     Some days the memories come racing back to mind and wake me up. Other times they are formed over a people of days in my mind and then placed on a page to see how they look. I do go back and edit, delete and add to past entries. Don't know if there is a rule against that but I violate it fairly often if there is. Writers can make their owns rules from my understanding and that's the story I'll stick with.


   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment