Saturday, August 31, 2013

Derek Jeter and Mickey Mantle

I saw the longtime New York Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter today. His body had betrayed him at the age of 39,  in a similar way to how the Hall of Fame Yankee Mickey Mantle's body betrayed him in his early 30's. Both of these crowd favorites have had to confront the same options most weekend athletes have to consider every time they attempt a game best played by boys: "Is this the last time I play before calling it quits?"

For me the last game came when I was 30. I was playing on the Mall in Washington, DC on a beautiful June afternoon. The game was meaningless and I was a substitute for a team that was losing in the 5th inning. When I jogged out to right field I saw the Washington Memorial on one side and the Capital on the other. It occurred to me that if this were the last time I ever tried to be a baseball player that I couldn't have picked a more picturesque location.

As it so happened I had the opportunity to bat first in the top of the 6th inning. The starting pitcher had been sent to the showers with a 15 run lead so my opponent was a relief pitcher simply trying to end the game quickly. He tossed me a beautiful high arc pitch which I watched cross the plate. He seemed puzzled as to why I hadn't swung at this thing of beauty and proceeded to toss me another in exactly the same manner. This time I swung as though it was my last time at bat on this earth. The ball traveled high and far over the head of the center fielder. I sped around the base paths just as I had done as a youth and was safe at home plate. I had scored one last time.

After the game was over the manager called me and asked if I wanted to continue playing for his team. I gave it some thought and said no. It was too pretty a memory for me to have and nobody would ever truly understand it anyhow.

I had stopped playing the boys game. It's exactly what I would have wished for Mickey Mantle when I watched his final games and the ball no longer carried into the seats as it once had. It is also how I felt for Derek Jeter when I watch him labor today, and hit into two double plays. If only he could see himself in hindsight then he might just imagine that his best days are behind him and that anything else he might do on the ball field would be less than memorable.

In some ways I was luckier than both Derek and Mickey, and for that I am eternally grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure why it didn't accept my comment. I enjoy reading your posts - always so poignant and thought provoking. Thank-you for taking the time.

    ReplyDelete