Sunday, June 23, 2013

Summer Days

If there was a summer time novel/movie for me it would be The Great Gatsby. It takes place during a lazy summer during the 1920s and is filled with observations about summer. A couple of examples:

And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.”
Nick Carraway

Do you ever wait for the longest day of the year and then miss it? I always wait for the longest day of the year and then miss it!” 
Daisy Buchanan

The Daisy Buchanan quote always sticks with me because I usually miss acknowledging the longest day of the year and someone has to remind me or I think of it after the fact.

Though this year was different.

The summer of 2013 began for me returning from a short vacation at the Jersey Shore. Most times it would be the other way around and I would be planning a trip or wishing for a trip, once summer began.

This year we visited Atlantic City and I was able to feast my eyes on two of the remaining hotels from the Gatsby era: The Claridge and The Ritz.




Both of these gems have seen better days. The Claridge is part of Bally's and has a connection not depicted in this photo. The Ritz is now a condo. Neither of these facts takes anything away from my imagining them in their prime or wanting to stay at each for a night. This yearning would be for no other reason than to say I had stayed in a once magnificent hotel on what was once a premier vacation and honeymooning spot. I realize this makes me a throwback to another era but I don't mind that distinction, especially since we all know it's just in my mind and little else.

Yes, I have completed my summer sojourn to the Jersey Shore and feel the optimism of what the rest of the summer may bring. Hope you are able to do whatever it is that makes you feel like summer is here. Though don't wait for the longest day of the year as you have missed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment