Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Egg Hunts

I'm not sure when we stopped having Easter Egg Hunts in our home. It probably was near the time I was about to turn eight and my brother six. We always knew there wasn't an Easter Bunny but searching for chocolate was fun all the same. Later we were simple given a chocolate Easter Bunny and told not to eat it all at one time or else we would spoil our dinner.

We would have an Easter dinner around 1PM and it was usually a ham laced with cloves and sometimes pineapple. Later in life I would learn the wonders of spiral sliced smoked hams when I worked as a retail manager in a Heavenly Ham store. Our Easter hams were much simpler affairs and my Dad would have to slice them. They were always a favorite as they made excellent sandwiches for days afterwards.

This all reminds me of something Phillip Roth, the American novelist once said:
"American writers leave where they came from then write about it the rest of their lives."

While I am hardly a writer of any degree, I am an American blogger and I do write about a time and place I only rarely see in person.

I can't say I have ever read anything of Roth. According to Wikipedia, he first gained attention with the 1959 novella Goodbye, Columbus, an irreverent and humorous portrait of American-Jewish life for which he received the U.S. National Book Award for Fiction. Roth's fiction, was regularly set in Newark, New Jersey. Though I do believe he is going on my bucket list of writers to spend time with.

To me, any writer who can make an observation that hits home with you is somebody to read. I'll probably start at the beginning and see how it goes. He is a very prolific writer, spanning more than five decades, so maybe I will have to investigate him via Amazon and the Kindle Fire I was given by my employers to evaluate. As an apartment dweller I really don't have the space for books, even though I love them dearly. The tablet is, despite my initial misgivings, a good idea for space deprived city dwellers. Nothing wrong with collecting books and I admire any household which has the room to display all they have read or hope to read. My wife and I have made the decision to live in the city so it's either books or cooking gadgets. From the looks of things the gadgets have won!

No comments:

Post a Comment