Friday, May 06, 2011

Moms and Baseball

As I am reminded by the author of the Watching The Game blog, Judy Van Sickle Johnson, it's not only fathers and sons who share memories of playing or watching baseball together.  My Mom easily saw just about every baseball game I ever played, including Summer Recreation Softball. If she ever missed one of my games it would have been because she was attending one of my brother's games instead.

My Mom still likes baseball and even watches the Little League World Series broadcast live from Williamsport, Pennsylvania each summer on ESPN. Now that is a fan!

The only live games she sees now are of my nephew in Los Angeles. He did not disappointment this past month when she was visiting LA on her 80th birthday. My nephew hit 2 home runs and pitched a complete game victory for his team. She couldn't have been happier if a time machine had transported her back to Ridgewood in the late 1960s and she had seen one of her own sons in action.

1 comment:

  1. Your mom is my role model and inspiration. I sure hope to be watching baseball at age 80 ... Not much longer to go! It's awesome that she tunes into the LLWS every summer. We do too! My very best to Esther and to her ballplaying son.

    ReplyDelete