Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Days Before Thanksgiving

I easily recall that these were times filled with great anticipation, not the least because of the long weekend which the holiday afforded us.

There was always a bit of a nip in the air but usually no snow to complain about. We would see plenty of snow in the coming months so November didn't need to add to our burden. There were always still leaves on the trees and on the ground, which if we had strong backs and not too many callouses on our hands we could turn into some spending money.

Thanksgiving was always a holiday with few pressures, as the most important part was to show up at the table at the appointed hour with clean hands and a big appetite. This was not much of a challenge for us kids growing up, especially if we were able to sneak in a football game in the morning with our pals.

Sometimes we had relatives at our table and this always kept us on our best behavior. Though table manners were a custom we were all well drilled in and all it took was a look from my Mom or Dad if we acted out to rein in our youthful energies. These had no place at the dinner table and to this day I always appreciate a host or hostess who makes this clear to their children when I am so honored to have a place at their table.

I hope you all enjoy the holiday. My job this year is to make the pumpkin pies and whip the cream which serves as garnish. I like to do the entire meal but if left to only one task it will always be the dessert that I will select.


Peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment