Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pets Of Our Youth

We had the usual assortment of pets growing up. Dogs (Penny, Linda, Megan, Rover, TC) were fixtures in my life from the age of 7, and we had numerous cats (JP, Pepper and JP), one snake (no name) who escaped in the basement and we never saw again, and two gold fish (Molly and Alison).
Everyone in our family doted on the animals and when they were sick we all felt it. Animals tunnel their way into your heart and never leave your memory. It truly is hard for me to imagine living without them. The older I grow the more I understand how short the time they have with you, and that you must consciously enjoy their short stays on this planet. Maybe one day we meet again but I prefer to give my dog an extra hug just in case.

My current dog, Angus, named for the legendary butler from Upstairs Downstairs (Angus Hudson) is our pride and joy. He without fail at around 4:00 AM will cuddle up next to me with his head on my pillow for an hour of priceless sleeping time together. Being that he is a creature of routine, around 5:00 AM or so he will jump of our bed and go to his own bed for the rest of his sleep. When he next wakes up I know that it's time for the usual routine of a walk and some breakfast. He keeps us going with his persistent desires to have things his way, and we usually accommodate.  It's the the least we can do for a creature with such a short life span who gives so much and asks only that things are predictable and timely. He acts much the same as his namesake at 165 Eaton Place and we usually fall in line when the demands are in keeping with the standards he no doubt he believes he is trying to keep up.

No comments:

Post a Comment