Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Tug of the Past

I had a moment of enlightment while reading Richard Russo's novel Bridge of Sighs. He is the author of Nobody's Fool.

When I read the following I knew at once it applied to why I blog about a time long gone. To set the scene this is a father, who is writing an autobiography, responding to his son:

"Mom says you are writing your life story up there."

"Nothing quite so grand as that, I tell him, though it's true I've written far more than I expected to, having underestimated the tug of the past, the intoxication of memory, the attraction of explaining myself, to, well, myself."

When I read the words "intoxication of memory" and "underestimating the tug of the past" I knew Mr Russo had nailed the feeling which I enjoy.

This blog, as I am gratefully able to tell one and all who read it, is my belated attempt to explain to myself some of what went on over 30 years ago. To the many people who have found this blog and sent their kind words, I extend a hearty thank you. It is all I really need to keep bringing up these memories of mine which bubble up at the most unexpected moments.

The bottom line is: I'll keep writing if you all keep reading. Also, please send your old pictures as they are, as the old saying goes, worth a thousand words. Your suggestions for posts are also most welcome.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment