Sunday, September 03, 2006

Ridgewood Farmer's Market

I had a short but sweet visit to Ridgewood today for the express purpose of visiting the Farmer's Market that sets up on Sundays in the parking lot of the train station. We stayed long enough to buy some of my favorite produce: Jersey Tomatoes and Corn. As an added bonus they had 3 guys from Bella Mozzarella in Fairlawn making fresh Mozzarella on site. Combine this cheese with the tomatoes and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and I was in heaven when we returned home. I also had an ear of white corn that was so good it didn't need to be cooked.

The corn was just as good as the ears we used to buy from Mr. Lester when he had his farm next to Graydon Pool. When I think about him plowing his fields as late as the 1970s with a horse I am usually at a loss for words. Year after year I'm sure all the "sensible" people told him to sell his farm and retire. I don't know if it was stubbornness or he just liked the hard work, probably a combination of the two, but there he would be out walking behind his horse in his corn fields. This sort of man is next to impossible to explain to the current young residents of Ridgewood, and my 10 year old nephew who lives in Ridgewood now is no exception.

I should really know better and not try too hard to explain the past to young people, unless they ask. Ridgewood was an entirely different place 30-40 years ago when I was growing up. Moms stayed at home, divorce was not so rampant, and obesity was the exception and not the norm. I should just realize that when you have a Sony GameBoy, high speed Internet access, and all advantages now afforded to Ridgewood School children you usually don't spend much time thinking about the fact we all stand upon the shoulders of the giants who came before us. Mr. Lester was one such giant, and the visage of him behind the horse usually comes to my mind at this time of year whenever I bite into an ear of Jersey corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment