Saturday, December 17, 2016

When Life Was Different.

Before we had all of our class reunions we first had to live some life. I won't say it was better, but it was harder, and difficulty yields character.

When it snowed we reveled in the drifts wearing multiple layers of clothing and sledded where ever we could find a hill. We shoveled the sidewalks of our neighbors for money, and our own home as a duty. I like to tell the story of how my Dad would have us shovel our sidewalk before he went to work in the morning. He took the train and usually walked down Glenwood Road to the Hohokus train station. If we pointed out that nobody else had shoveled their walks yet, we would be met with a glare which said, "Just do it!" 

When it snowed a great deal we listened on the radio for school closings. The radio stations would read them over and over, and we would listen until the good news of a day off was certain. A snow changed the tenor of an entire day. Books and homework were placed to the side and we would venture outside to see who else in the neighborhood was out playing around. Sometimes there were huge snowball fights that might last for hours and included building forts and stockpiling snowballs. It all would last for as long as it took us to get too cold or hungry to continue.

Now that we are older and far removed from the simple pleasures of a snow day, it makes me want to hold onto these memories even more. I can't have that same feeling again but I do find it reassuring to think about them. I can treasure the memories and be glad in being able to recall them. It's even better when I can do it in the company of friends who were there with me at the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment