Saturday, May 01, 2010

Mac Hughs Inc. Clothing Store

      A rite of each school year while growing up was a trip to Mac Hughs to buy some new cloths to replace the previous year's school cloths which were either too small or in disrepair. First the Mac Hugh store was in downtown Ridgewood and later they would build their own much larger location across from the Duck Pond. The amazing part were the salesmen who would remember us by face and welcome us back each year. It was even possible to develop favorites among the salesmen since these guys remained at their jobs year in and year out. This was my introduction to what "Customer Service" is all about and to this day Mac Hughs remains a touchstone which I use to discern the relative merit of whatever establishment I patronize. Very few have ever come close to the professionalism and civility which used to be offered by Mac Hughs.

      As times changed and I moved away from Ridgewood my taste in clothing changed to Brooks Brothers and I never returned to Mac Hughs. It's a shame because as I have subsequently learned through experience it is worth the time and effort to go out of your way to receive the kind of attention which the guys at Mac Hughs used to lavish on us. This is true for most things but especially important when it comes to a sense of style in clothing.

      And who can forget the Lucky Bucks we received with each purchase? These could be traded in for various build-them-yourself model kits of cars, boats, and aircraft. Mac Hughs was certainly ahead of its time in knowing that if they could convince children to shop at Mac Hughs by simply rewarding them with the modern day equivalent of the McDonald's Happy Meal, they would build a thriving business via the repeat customers. It certainly worked for a good long time and last I heard the owners retired to Vermont. The Mac Hughs building is now a bank with offices for rent, where kids once used to try on the latest cloths and Lucky Bucks were the coin of the realm.

19 comments:

  1. Dear Paul,
    I happened to see your post about Mac Hugh's when I was googling the date that the store closed (1997). I was touched by your memories of my Dad's store and will share your article with my sisters and brother, all of whom live in Woodstock Vermont, which is also where I live. The huge antique eagle that used to hang in one of the upstairs rooms (it sounds as if you were downstairs collecting Lucky Bucks) originated in Woodstock. My dad bought it and took it to the Ridgewood store. It was his favorite possession. After the Ridgewood store closed, the eagle got lost and after 13 years, it has finally been recovered and given to the Woodstock Historical Society. So the paper here is doing an article about the Eagle and about Mac Hug Inc. It has brought back a lot of memories for us, so it was fun to read your memories. My father would be pleased to know that you liked the salesmen - Harold Goematt was manager of the boys' shop, a wonderful and funny fellow. I heard that he died recently.
    Nothing stays the same, but it is nice, on occasion, to remember. And your blog post a you for that.
    Warm regards,
    Anne Macksosud
    Anne Mackssoud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, Count me in as one more admirer of your dad's Ridgewood store. Mr. Mara worked there. A lot of the men were dads of my friend. Mac Hugh's left a legacy that made Ridgewood better. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. P.S.
    Paul,
    The end of my note got erased. What I meant to say was that your blog post allowed me to remember, and I thank you for that!
    All the best,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ann ...It's been a long time since we have seen each other...Don Johnson

    (donjohn@iserv.net)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My old friend Richard Day introduced me to MacHugh's haberdashery in Ridgewood around 1965... we would drive all the way from Wayne to buy our clothes there. I especially remember my wool Royal Stewart pants, being great for Christmastime. And my Black Watch blazer. What a GREAT place for clothes, nothing compares to it in 2019. Thanks for spoiling me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found this. Am sorting my embroidery thread which I keep in old tie boxes. Blue threads are in an old Mac Hugh's box and I wondered if the store still exists, so I checked on Google. I lived in Ridgewood from 1952 until I graduated from RHS in 1967. We were a family of girls, but my father shopped at Mac Hugh's. And apparently my mother and sisters and I bought him Mac Hugh's ties as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, the store is no longer here, but it looks as if the memories are still vivid. My Dad had 4 stores - one in Ridgewood NJ one in Westwood NJ one in Woodstock VT and the last one was in NJ, but I blanking on the name of the town. I am just seeing Don Johnson's name above. Are you still there Don?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What was the name of the clothing store next to Mac Hughs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I moved and while unpacking found a genuine ivory pendant in a Mac Hugh Inc. box. Did the store sell jewelry as well?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My father in law had a coat made at Mac Hugh’s . Is it possible it’s vicuña ? With a mouton collar? Possibly purchased in the 60’s, possibly 70’s. I’m looking to sell it cause it’s just collecting dust and it’s a beautiful coat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got all my school cloths there. My mother shopped at Sealfons. Great memories. Also remember the other men’s store -?Puritz-Waterhouse?
    Smaller but also great customer service. Son;t even get that service at Brooks Brothers any more.
    Speaking of the duck pond- does anyone remember T and W ice cream ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Born and raised in ridgewood ....class of 80 ..now also living in Vermont...t & w was very nostalgic...growing up in the 60s at the duck pond and ice cream at t&w..was something you won't find anymore....I was part of the demolition and reconstruction companies at there closing...very sad..terwilliger and wakefield..

      Delete
  11. Today's youth..have no concept of what a great way to grow up it was ..and will never ever be again like then..very sad..that all they have is what's in there smart phone..!!social media has made life phoney and people weak.!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Btw...at machughs...it was called red bucks...money

    ReplyDelete