Saturday, May 22, 2010

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Official Google Blog: Introducing Google Public DNS



The Internet for people who are both curious and technically inclined is a wonderful invention. It doesn't demand that you possess either of these traits in vast quantities for it to be a source of inspiration and delight, but it does help.

I found this link concerning a project to improve the Domain Name System (DNS) via an ordinary afternoon of checking my Social Networking links. It was technical and it also made me curious because it was being spearheaded by Paul Chisholm, an old neighbor and member of the RHS Class of 1975.

Now the combination of a project to make The Internet more responsive and the fact it was being led by somebody from the old neighborhood around Willard peaked my interest so much that I have joined the project in a tangential manner by changing my DNS settings to 8.8.8.8.

Why does this matter? According to Google:

"The DNS protocol is an important part of the web's infrastructure, serving as the Internet's phone book: every time you visit a website, your computer performs a DNS lookup. Complex pages often require multiple DNS lookups before they start loading, so your computer may be performing hundreds of lookups a day."

In non-technical terms: it will speed up your browser and make your time spent on The Internet a bit more secure.

All I know is that it appears to be working for my browser and I am always looking to add additional layers of security protection to my computing environment. I hope the project goes well and that one day Paul Chisholm will be recognized by Ridgewood High School for his efforts and place a picture of him on their wall of Distinguished Alumni.

No comments:

Post a Comment